Skip to main content

Overnight Bus Journey with an unknown lady sitting side by side

 

Overnight Bus Journey with an unknown lady sitting side by side

My experience with a newly married lone lady, sitting beside me the whole night in Nepal.


Have you ever traveled on a bus with a person of a different gender sitting beside you during long night journeys, when the person beside you is a stranger and of your age group?

Yes, I traveled the entire night sitting side by side in a 2/2 microbus with a lady of 27 years old, Nepali seemingly newly married.

I remember the date, it was 29th December 2016, I took 5 pm bus from Birganj to Kathmandu ( Nepal).

Those who traveled long-distance journeys in Nepal that too in a public microbus, can easily understand, how terrible and dangerous that journey can be.

Nepal is a hilly region, hardly find a >2km long stretch of plain land. Most of the roads are with hilly rocks and mud. Multiple humps and potholes are key ingredients there. It will be very hard for a person to maintain body balance. When the bus plunges into a pothole, it will lean at 30 degrees angle or when it will cross any hump, the bus will jump accordingly.


Thus body touch between the two seated side by side in a microbus is inevitable.

Remember, each ticket has a discreet seat number, every person is supposed to seat on the assigned seat only.

Previously, I planned to catch a flight from Birganj to Kathmandu, but unfavorable weather conditions canceled the flight schedule. I had no other option left but to catch the night bus to reach Kathmandu. The bus journey is almost 15 hours.

The bus was fully packed, some of the passengers were even seated on the floor.

Most of the passengers were male and seemingly of labor class community., heavily drunk, and were uttering slangs in their vernacular language.

The lady was seated two rows before my seat along with a male person. Initially, I thought that a newly married lady ( wearing a red saree, Bindi, and having vermilion on her forehead). must be accompanied by her relatives. But ever since the bus started playing, she was screaming in a mild voice, I thought, it may be the reason for the frequently moving and jumping nature of the bus. But later, I came to know the real reason for her screaming.

The particular co-occupant ( aged greater than 60 years — seemingly of her father’s age, was intentionally trying to molest her). But the hard reality in Nepal is very much worried some. Ladies don’t enjoy adequate honor and prestige there. Had it been in India, some of the co-passengers would have risen up to protect that lady.

Around 9 pm, our bus took a halt at a place near riad side Dhaba, driver conductor said us to disembark and finish our night dinner by the next 30 minutes before the resume onward journey.

While I was talking about my dinner, that lady came to me and said in the Hindi language (“ can you request conductor to change seat beside you — since my co-passenger is constantly disturbing me”).

I was clueless, what to do, ( is it a trap for me — since I am a foreigner; will it bring any kind of peril for me, etc., etc.). Despite all anxiety and apprehension, I said yes. I found a sigh of relief in the face of the lady).

Anyway, after speaking to the conductor, I rearranged seating, provided the side of her window, and took the aisle for me.

It was the end of December, the winter season, the more our bus is climbing up, then I feel more and more cooling. Outside wind blowing like — piercing a needle into my body. The temperature was getting colder and colder, with the plying on the hilltop.

Although, it was not a soothing journey due to my fatigue, very soon I slept. When I woke up, I discovered that both I and that lady is covered up with a red woolen shawl and my head is put on her shoulder. The lady slowly uttered in Hindi ( can we get down to enjoy a cup of tea), I said yes.

It was around 5 am in the morning, the sun was about to up, faint white tender light rays were refracting through a cliff. For the first time, we exchanged our eyes, realized real feelings of calmness, mutual trust, and care. When I was trying to find a scope to start the conversation, she suddenly murmured ( you were looking shivering, your jacket was not enough to save you from the cool breeze, so, I expanded my woolen shawl to wrap up us. I put your head on my shoulder so that your head doesn’t get hurt. You slept the whole night on my shoulder, however, I couldn’t sleep just to ensure your sleep and good journey).


As long you are honest and modest in your intention and acts, such an incident generally takes place. I don’t know why did an unknown lady choose me as her safe and reliable co- passenger. I still remember that night and the lady, who left an indelible impression upon my mind.

_____________________________________



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Guru Durga Prasanna Paramhansa Dev | শ্রীগুরু দুর্গাপ্রসন্ন পরমহংসদেব

  শ্রীগুরু দুর্গাপ্রসন্ন পরমহংসদেব পরীরাজকাচার্যবর শ্রী শ্রী দুর্গাপ্রসন্ন পরমহংসদেব 1891 খ্রিস্টাব্দে 30 অক্টোবর রাসপূর্নিমা শুভদিনে বরিশাল জেলার (বর্তমানে বাংলাদেশে) রাজাপুর গ্রামে পিতা উমচরণ চক্রবর্তী (অদ্বৈত প্রভুর বংশের একজন সিদ্ধা তন্ত্র সাধক) এবং মা চিন্তামণি দেবী (বর্তমানে ভগবান আশুতোষের অবিষ্ট ভক্ত) -  বাড়িতে জন্মে ছিলেন । শৈশবকাল থেকেই তিনি প্রতিটি সহচরদের প্রতি সেবার মনোভাব লালন করেছিলেন । সকলের দুঃখ-দুর্দশা চিরতরে দূর করার জন্য তাঁর আগ্রহ তাকে তাঁর গুরু শ্রী শ্রী নিগমানন্দ পরমহংসের কাছে নিয়ে এসেছিল (আসাম কোকিলমুখ শান্তি আশ্রমে - থেকে ধর্মীয় পাঠ করেছিলেন) ; যিনি তাকে তত্ক্ষণাত বিশ্ব-সেবক (সর্বজনীন সেবক) হিসাবে চিহ্নিত করেছিলেন এবং পরবর্তীকালে বিভিন্ন আধ্যাত্মিক কার্যক্রম মাধ্যমে তাঁকে গাইড করেছিলেন । অবশেষে তাকে নিজে গুরু হতে বলছেন, যা তিনি অনিচ্ছা সত্ত্বেও মেনে নিয়েছিলেন । নিগমানন্দাজীর নির্দেশ অনুসারে তিনি শব-সাধন (মৃতদেহের সাথে তান্ত্রিক অনুশীলন )ও করেছিলেন এবং পরে গুরুদেব থেকে বিচ্ছেদের পরে তিনি যোগ-সাধনা অনুশীলন করেছিলেন যার মাধ্যমে তিনি প্রথমে সাবিকল্প সমাধিত

Home Ministry to Control border Conflict in Different States | गृह मंत्रालय की गतिविधियां |বিভিন্ন রাজ্যে সীমান্ত সংঘাত নিয়ন্ত্রণে স্বরাষ্ট্র মন্ত্রকের কার্যক্রম

   Activities of Home Ministry to Control  border conflict in different states Well, it is indeed a great question you have asked, it is very much imperative too. Present Indian Home Minister Amit Shah and his boss PM, Narendra Modi have no discreet plan, I reckon. The kind of knowledge, wisdom, and legwork that is needed to address the crisis and analysis its conflict nature; both Shah and Modi have got no acumen to imbibe. Illiterates idiots do not like to hear and pursue candid opinions, despite knowing their own limitations as portfolio holders – they prefer to stay silent and inactive before the crisis takes place. Ever since this idiot duo took charge, Indian home affairs have become much more inactive and inapt. Recently happened incidences ( most of the news do not show in national media – but if you see foreign media and read articles you will get to know that presently India is moving towards civil war. Abrogation of Article 370 (without considering the impact and future cris